Part II. Creating
Chapter 5: A Brief History Of Creating
Chapter 6: Why
Chapter 7: When
Chapter 8: Where
Chapter 9: Who
Chapter 10: What
Part III. How
Chapter 11: How: Composing From Scratch
Part IV. Aaarghhh!
Chapter 12: Inspirations, Jump Starts
Part V. Directions
Chapter 13: The Logical Next Step
Chapter 1: Dream Machine?
Beethoven's Dream Machine. What's that? It's an instrument of course. But
not one that was around in Beethoven's time. But, thankfully, it is available
today. Why dream machine? Because in old Beethoven's time, a musician/composer
could only let his imagination run very wild to even conceive of such an
instrument. So wild, that if they were to even speak of this dream, certainly
they would be burned at the stake or beheaded at the very idea of such a
heretic device. But dream they did. Dreams are the building blocks to all
of mankind's achievements. He and countless other musicians have in centuries
past dreamt of such a machine. We are fortunate enough to live in an age
where such a machine exists. It is the synthesizer. This instrument coupled
with a modest desktop computer and appropriate software will unlock your
musical creativity in ways that, well, you could only dream of.
Along with the hardware comes an altogether new approach to composition
if you choose to take advantage of it. You can still compose in whatever
method you've done in the past, but if you prefer to harness the technology
and ride it to the horizon of infinite creativity-limited only by the realm
of your imagination, then climb aboard. This new approach is:
That is what this book is about. Creating music. Composing. Writing. Whatever
term you choose. If you are an artist whose latent talent is waiting to
flourish, this book will give you the tools to begin this creative journey.
It offers you a brief history of the technology and how to use it to unlock
your creativity. More importantly though, this book will:
- more fluent
- more cerebral
- more immediate
- more engaging
- far more malleable and above all
- more enjoyable
Now, none of this happens with the wave of a magic wand however. But given
your zeal to learn and to become a highly creative musical individual-your
hunger for knowledge-your desire to master the tools which will give your
musical ideas wings, then you're in the perfect place to begin.
- Illustrate several purely artistic creative methods for composing
in the synthesized format.
- Spur you on to tapping the creative musical force that lies dormant
in us all (all us musicians, that is).
- It will unveil methods discovered by myself and others through the
use of this equipment which will allow you to side-step the tedium and go
headstrong into the fast track of realizing the music that lies within your
- Uncover creative doors which once you begin to open will make you
say to yourself: "WOW! This is great!"
- Utilize your subconscious mind to solve a creative problem.
- Plant within you a creative seed that will continue to flourish long
after this book has been read.
- Give you elementary tools to solve a creative problem.
- Allow you to use all the music you've ever heard and ever will hear
to your compositional advantage
- Break down what you're hearing into the key elements to fully understand
what is going on rhythmically and harmonically
- Teach you to listen with an open mind
- Instill in you the desire to appreciate EVERY form of music, even
- Show you that a single note contains within it all other notes
- Provide you the tools to duplicate virtually any style of music
- Teach you to develop and nurture your own unique style
- If nothing else, teach you about the creative process
NEXT CHAPTER >>>